JAIST Repository >
School of Materials Science >
Articles >
Journal Articles >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10119/8787

Title: Kelvin Probe Force Microscope Observation of Chlorine-Adsorbed TiO_2(110) Surfaces
Authors: Hiehata, Kumiko
Sasahara, Akira
Onishi, Hiroshi
Keywords: Kelvin probe force microscope
Scanning tunneling microscope
titanium dioxide
chlorine
work function
dipole moment
Issue Date: 2008
Publisher: The Japan Society of Applied Physics
Magazine name: Japanese Journal of Applied Physics
Volume: 47
Number: 7
Start page: 6149
End page: 6152
DOI: 10.1143/JJAP.47.6149
Abstract: The rutile titanium dioxide (TiO_2) (110) surface exposed to Cl_2 gas was examined using scanning probe microscopes. The Cl adatoms formed by Cl_2 dissociation were observed as bright spots in empty-state scanning tunneling microscope images. While 94% of the Cl adatoms were on the top of surface Ti atoms, the remaining 6% of the adatoms missed the on-top site. The Kelvin probe force microscope measurements revealed a local work function increase on the Cl adatoms. The electronegative Cl adatoms were proposed to accumulate electrons from the surface. The resultant dipole moments were directed from the vacuum to the surface, and hence the work function of the adatoms locally increased.
Rights: This is the author's version of the work. It is posted here by permission of The Japan Society of Applied Physics. Copyright (C) 2008 The Japan Society of Applied Physics. Kumiko Hiehata, Akira Sasahara and Hiroshi Onishi, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 47(7), 2008, 6149-6152. http://jjap.ipap.jp/link?JJAP/47/6149/
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10119/8787
Material Type: author
Appears in Collections:c10-1. 雑誌掲載論文 (Journal Articles)

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
C13174.pdf468KbAdobe PDFView/Open

All items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.

 


Contact : Library Information Section, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology